This dish is similar to the beloved stuffed bell pepper. I love pairing a fresh, sweet tomato with this herbed brown rice mixture! Using tomatoes means faster cooking time because there’s no need to bake them in the oven, unlike peppers. You can also make this vegan by omitting the cheese or using non-dairy cheese instead.
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped garlic chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- 4 vine ripened tomatoes, cored and insides removed
- In a medium sauce pan on medium heat, sauté bell pepper, onion, and jalapeño for 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Stir in vegetable broth, water, brown rice, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Cook covered on medium high heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and mix in garlic chives, oregano and cheese.
- Cut a small foot at the bottom of the tomatoes for stability. Stuff tomatoes with brown rice and top with grated Parmesan.